A computer network is a combination of devices (computers and laptops) that are connected together for the purpose of data or resource sharing.
The devices use general connection protocols beyond digital interconnections to connect with more devices.
- The sharing of data can occur through the two feasible ways
- There are various types of networks that can be used for different functions
- Applications of computer networks
The sharing of data can occur through the two feasible ways
- Physical cable media, such as fiber-optical cable, twisted pair etc.
- Wireless methods such as Wi-Fi, radio communication, and microwave transmission.
An example of a network is the tern LAPLINK, which allows you to copy files from one device to another device over a specific parallel port to be considered a computer network. Another example specified here is that we all may use it in our daily lives, i.e., the internet.
Some various types of networks are LAN, MAN, WAN etc.
There are various types of networks that can be used for different functions
- LAN: Local area networks are mainly used to connect personal devices within a few kilometers of a limited area. These networks are used in offices, companies, and factories to exchange data and Information.
- MAN: Metropolitan area networks are used to connect the devices over an entire city under the range of up to 50 km. These networks are used in the telephone company network and cable TV network.
- WAN: Wide Area Networks are used in the wide geological range over a country and continent. These networks are used in military services, mobile operators, railways, and airlines reservations.
- PAN: Personal area networks appropriate to personal or separate workspace under the range of 10 meters. These networks are mostly used to connect tablets, smartphones, and laptops.
- CAN: Campus area networks are used to connect limited geographic areas. CAN interconnect multiple local area networks (LAN) within Colleges, Universities, Corporates buildings, etc.
Other networks are enterprise private networks, internet works backbone networks, home area networks, and global area networks.
Applications of computer networks
1. Resource Sharing
Resource sharing is an application of a computer network. Resource sharing means you can share one Hardware and Software among multiple users. Hardware includes printers, Disks, Fax Machines, etc. Computing devices. And Software includes Atom, Oracle VM Virtual Box, Postman, Android Studio, etc.
2. Information Sharing
Using a Computer network, we can share Information over the network, and it provides Search capabilities such as WWW. Over the network, a single information can be shared among the many users over the internet.
Communication includes email, calls, message broadcast, electronic funds transfer system etc.
4. Entertainment Industry
In Entertainment industry also uses computer networks widely. Some of the Entertainment industries are Video on demand, Multiperson real-time simulation games, movie/TV programs, etc.
5. Access to Remote Databases
Computer networks allow us to access the Remote Database of the various applications by the end-users. Some applications are Reservation for Hotels, Airplane Booking, Home Banking, Automated Newspaper, Automated Library etc.
6. Home applications
There are many common uses of the computer network are as home applications. For example, you can consider user-to-user communication, access to remote instruction, electronic commerce, and entertainment. Another way is managing bank accounts, transferring money to some other banks, paying bills electronically. A computer network arranges a robust connection mechanism between users.
7. Business applications
The result of business application here is resource sharing. And the purpose of resource sharing is that without moving to the physical location of the resource, all the data, plans, and tools can be shared to any network user. Most of the companies are doing business electronically with other companies and with other clients worldwide with the help of a computer network.
8. Mobile users
The rapidly growing sectors in computer applications are mobile devices like notebook computers and PDAs (personal digital assistants). Here mobile users/device means portable device. The computer network is widely used in new-age technology like smartwatches, wearable devices, tablets, online transactions, purchasing or selling products online, etc.
9. Social media
Social media is also a great example of a computer network application. It helps people to share and receive any information related to political, ethical, and social issues.