On this page, you will find all the most important and most asked questions from unit 2 of the Operating System subject.
Topic : Intro to DST (Key Note and Questions)
- Data Structure is a way to organize data so that we can perform any operation on it efficiently.
- Data type describes which type of value a variable can store. Means if a variable is of int data type it means that, that particular variable can store only integer data.
- Built-in data type is also known as predefined data type which can be directly used by any programmer to a variable types and assign value in it.
- Some example of built-in data type are int, char, float, double, short, long etc.
- What is process and process model?
- Explain the various states of process.
- What do you understand by context switching? Explain with the help of diagram.
Topic : Algorithm (Key Note and Questions)
- Algorithm can be defined as a step by step approach to solve a problem in finite steps and time. It is a human-readable solution.
- Efficiency of an Algorithm shows the quality of algorithm. Here the parameter for quality is algorithm should take less time and space to solve any problem.
- Time complexity shows time taken by an algorithm to solve a problem.
- Space complexity show space/memory taken by an algorithm to solve a problem.
- What do you understand by process control block? Write the various type of information contain by PCB.
- Write the difference between long term, middles term and short term schedulers.
- What is Interprocess communication? Discuss its two models.
- What is thread? Write the difference between user level and kernel level thread. write its advantage and disadvantage.
- Asymptotic notation helps to measure the complexity of an algorithm. It is of 5 types Big-Oh, Omega, Theta, Little Oh and Little Omega.
- An Abstract datatype is a datatype, whose behavior is defined by a set of values and set of operations. for example stack and queue is a perfect example of ADT.
- What is the goal of CPU scheduling algorithm?
- Describe dispatcher.
- What is concurrency? Write its principle.
- What do you understand by critical section. Explain.
- What are the requirements of critical section problem.
- What is race condition? Explain with the help of producer and consumer problem.
- What is mutual exclusion. Write its four condition and explain it.
- Write and explain the Peterson solution to the critical section problem.
- What is semaphore? Explain.
- Discuss the classical problem of synchronization.
- Write an algorithm for producer-consumer problem.
- Describe the reader-writer problem.
- Describe the Dining-philosopher problem.
- Write the sleeping barber problem of synchronization.